Shop your way through downtown galleries and boutique stores.
Enjoy food tastings, gift buying, live music and plenty of holiday cheer.
Maritime artisan trunk show at the New Bedford Fishing Heritage Center (38 Bethel Street) featuring unique handcrafted nautical work (jewelry, ceramics, etc.) as well as books by local authors, 4-7pm. Tasting provided by Freestones City Grill (41 William Street).
Your Theatre, Inc., presents various reading and poems in the spirit of the holiday season in the First Baptist Church Sanctuary (149 William Street). The future home of YTI! A mix of old favorites, like "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus", and other old and new very short stories, like "Holiday Office Party". The readings average five minutes (or less), and a new one starts every 15-minutes. 4-7pm
Stroll by the Groundwork! Gallery (1213 Purchase Street) to shop the Small Works Show.
A diverse selection of 160 beautiful and affordable 12”x12” works of art spanning from the south coast region and across the country. Curated by Jacob Ginga and Dena Haden. This is a cash and carry show---buy it and take it away!
Continue your evening with Arts Aglitter: Party for the Arts event at NBAM/Artworks! (608 Pleasant Street). Enjoy a night of live music, spirits, appetizers, and shopping, 6-9pm.
Click for more info.
Also open for shopping and dining (* indicates snacks will be served):
Shop local while enjoying family fun throughout Downtown.
Calling All Strollers To Custom House Square!
- Arrival of Mr. & Mrs. Claus by firetruck, 10am.
- Fire Truck rides with the New Bedford Fire Museum. Pickup/Drop-off at the Custom House Park Fountain, 10am-3pm.
- Caroling with the Harpoon Harmonizers, 1-3pm.
- Make a pinecone bird feeder with New Bedford Parks, Recreation & Beaches, noon-2pm.
Photos with Santa! Santa and Mrs. Claus arrive by fire truck at noon at Mare Studios & Gallery (27 Centre Street). 5x7 while you wait, financial or canned goods donations to benefit the Neediest Families Fund of the Standard-Times. And while you’re waiting in line for photos, Make & Take picture frames with Behavioral Connections in the Kaller Beef parking lot. Rain location for craft is Casa dos Botes Discovery Center on North Water Street.
Look for the South Coast Brass Band strolling on William Street, 11am-1pm.
Bring your family to help paint the City of One mural in the Star Store windows (188 Union Street), write letters to Santa with BCC students, try out the driver’s seat of a squad car and enjoy a slice of Domino’s pizza. Brought to you by BCC New Bedford, UMass Dartmouth CVPA , the New Bedford Police Department and Domino’s Pizza. noon-4pm
Hot chocolate and games at the New Bedford YMCA (25 South Water Street).
New Bedford Art Museum/Artworks! (608 Pleasant Street) hosts free family make-and-take crafts (11am-2pm) and the New Bedford Symphony Youth Orchestra.
Nathan and Polly Johnson House Tours (21 Seventh Street) with the New Bedford Historical Society. Enjoy Polly’s famous gingersnaps and shop for goodies. Noon-3pm
Check out the Dream Out Loud Performers at the Seamen’s Bethel (15 Johnny Cake Hill), 1pm.
Your Theatre, Inc., presents various reading and poems in the spirit of the holiday season in the First Baptist Church Sanctuary (149 William Street). The future home of YTI! A mix of old favorites, like "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus", and other old and new very short stories, like "Holiday Office Party". The readings average five minutes (or less), and a new one starts every 15-minutes. noon-4pm
Join New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park Artist in Residence, Amy Araujo, for charcoal portrait making. Second floor MakerSpace (33 William Street) Plus make and take maritime craft in the visitor center, noon-3pm.
There’s a lot to do at the New Bedford Fishing Heritage Center (38 Bethel Street):
- Live music with Daisy Nell & Captain Stan. Plus Daisy will also autograph her children's books, available for purchase at the gift shop. 10am-noon
- Photos with Salty Santa plus Santa will read from Santa and the Skipjack (1pm and 3pm). Noon-4pm
- Make & Take Christmas ornaments 10am-4pm
Stop by the First Unitarian Church Annual Holiday Fair (Union & County Street). Enjoy a snack from the lunch counter or bake table, browse craft vendors, enjoy holiday music, and much more. Don’t forget to take a Chance on the famous quilt raffle! The sanctuary will be open for tours, highlighting the large Tiffany glass mosaic that was installed in 1911. Weather permitting, visitors may enjoy the church garden and walk the labyrinth. Funds realized by this fair will support the church and its historic building, completed in 1838. 10am-2pm
Story and craft time (11am) and ornament making (in the afternoon) at the New Bedford Public Library (613 Pleasant Street).
Youth performances in the New Bedford Whaling Museum Theater (18 Johnny Cake Hill):
- New Bedford Publics Schools presents select choruses from Carney Academy, Gomes Elementary, Winslow Elementary, Ashley Elementary, Hathaway Elementary, Campbell Elementary and Keith Middle School. Noon-1pm
- Showstoppers performance from 2-3pm.
Get in the holiday spirit and enjoy the festively decorated interiors of the Rotch-Jones-Duff House & Garden Museum (396 County Street). Shop the museum store for terrific hostess gifts and ornaments and take advantage of 10% off your purchases. Admission fee applies: Adults, $6; AAA, Seniors and Students, $5; Ages 3-12, $3; and children 2 & under, free.
Check out the current shows, Fine Arts Faculty and Collaborative Aggregates Scholarship Exhibition, at UMass Dartmouth CVPA Star Store Gallery (715 Purchase Street).
Holiday Stroll Tea Time hosted by Doodles Creative, Life FUNdamentals, and 3rd EyE Youth Empowerment at mediumstudio (38 Bethel Street, 2nd floor), noon-2pm.
Drop-off the kiddos for an afternoon of activities while you shop, stroll and eat downtown!
Here’s what the kids can look forward to:
- A light lunch along with baked goods, hot chocolate, hot and iced tea, with all of the fixings.
- Gift bags will be provided containing everything needed for ornament decorating, playing candy bar LCR, and a take-home teacup.
- Take a peek into the treasure chest to select a fancy item to wear during tea time (and to take home with you at the end!)
- Plus holiday movie lounge, special character story time and mini-tree decorating.
$10 per child, Click Here For Questions & To RSVP
Zeiterion Holiday Stroll Events
- BOX OFFICE OPEN 10am-7pm
- IN THE THEATRE 10am-4pm
Free screening of original Christmas Classics featuring these animated favorites:
Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Coming to Town and More.
Snacks, beverages and popcorn available for purchase.
- IN THE LOUNGE
Noon-1pm – The Zukes ukulele orchestra performing holiday favorites
10am-4pm – Buttonwood Zoo Store, selling zoo inspired holiday toys and gifts and bringing a special visitor!
Complimentary holiday cookies and hot cocoa.
- IN THE LOBBY 10am-4pm
Visit the Z Box Office (open until 7pm) for tickets and gift cards for everyone on your Christmas list!
Buy Local! Visit local vendors for original and fun stocking stuffers for family and friends:
Dorothy Cox Candy – need we say more???
Buzzards Bay Bees – natural products from the hive
OctoVie Skin Brush – beauty products
Paw Place - gifts for your pet
Enjoyful Foods – natural and delicious snacks, gluten and allergen-free
Alchemy in a Jar – handcrafted jams
The Glass Connector – handcrafted stained glass
Birchstone Apothecary - hand-crafted beauty products made with locally sourced ingredients
Sandi Montour - Author of This or That
- AFTER THE STROLL 7pm
Free screening of a holiday classic!
It’s a Wonderful Life starring Jimmy Stewart & Donna Reed
Snacks, beverages and popcorn available for purchase.
The festivities continue with a parade (starting at 4pm) including the New Bedford Public Schools marching band and tree lighting ceremony on the steps of the New Bedford Free Public Library at 5pm with Mayor Mitchell, City Councilors and a community sing along.
Also open for shopping and dining :
- Alison Wells Gallery (106 William Street)
- Arthur Moniz Gallery (22 William Street)
- Bedford Merchant (28 William Street)
- Bejeweled (26 Centre Street)
- Carter’s Clothing (55 William Street)
- Calico (173 Union Street)
- Celia’s Boutique (111 William Street)
- Cork Wine & Tapas (90 Front Street)
- The Cummings Building Artists Studios (96 William Street, floor 2)
- Destination Soups (149 Union Street)
- DNB Burgers (22 Elm Street)
- Duff Gallery (24 Centre Street)
- Gallery X (169 William Street)
- Gatlin’s Framing & Photography / Subtext Books (209 Union Street)
- Green Bean (740 Purchase Street)
- Freestones City Grill (41 William Street)
- Hippo (741 Purchase Street)
- Intarawut Gallery (65 William Street)
- Mary’s Steamed Burgers (288 Union Street)
- Moby Dick Retail (27 William Street)
- New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park (33 William Street)
- New Bedford Whaling Museum (18 Johnny Cake Hill)
- No Problemo (813 Purchase Street)
- Paradise McFee (104 William Street)
- Pour Farm Tavern (780 Purchase Street)
- Purchase Street Records (767 Purchase Street)
- Rotch-Jones-Duff House & Garden Museum (396 County Street)
- Soap La-Tea-Da (187 Union Street)
- Solstice Skateboarding (102 William Street)
- The Landing (98 Front Street)
- Tia Maria’s European Café (42 North Water Street)
- TL6 the gallery (100 William Street)
- Travessia Urban Winery (760 Purchase Street)
- UMass Dartmouth CVPA Star Store Gallery (715 Purchase Street)
- Waterfront Grille (36 Homer’s Wharf)
- Whaler’s Tavern (24 North Water Street)
- Zeiterion Theatre (Purchase Street)